Saturday, May 12, 2012

I'm a big kid now!

Since having Holden, I now see Hattie as so much more of a big girl! As she gets older she is losing so much of that "baby" in her and it's a very bittersweet thing for me.  I absolutely love watching her grow and learn but now it's only on occasion that I get a glimpse of that little newborn baby that made me become a mama.  Anyway, moving on... 

One thing that we wanted to accomplish before bringing a new baby home was to have her potty trained.  We started right after her 2nd birthday and she got it within about a month or so!  We couldn't be more proud of her and it was so nice to never have to experience two in diapers.  Potty training is definitely a challenge and there were some days I SOOOO just wanted to throw in the towel.  Something that really helped me was listening to this webinar--it really made all the difference!

Another milestone that Hattie has reached is sleeping in a big girl bed!  I was SUPER worried about this transition because she has never been a very good sleeper--she STILL wakes up during the night at least 3 times a week, usually around 2 or 3AM.  Oh yeah, did I mention that she's TWO? HA!  So needless to say, I thought for sure once she had more freedom and wasn't behind bars (ha!) that she would immediately come into our room and want to sleep in our bed.  I love her more than words but I just couldn't handle having her in our bed.  

After much anxiety over the whole thing, one night we just decided to try it and see what happened.  She was so cute and excited to sleep in her bed and that first night she didn't even wake up once!  Unfortunately it wasn't a trend.  She still wakes up but never once has she tried to come out of her room--she just cries out for mama from her bed, bless her heart.  And every time I still go in there and sing her back to sleep.  Good thing she's so darn sweet! Ha!  Really though, I know that I will look back on this time and miss it like crazy.  I love this little girl so much my heart could burst.


But, if any of y'all have any tips for getting a toddler to sleep through the night I'm all ears.  We've tried everything from giving her something to eat RIGHT before bed to Lavender oil on her feet.  I'm so used to it now that it doesn't really phase me much. I just figure that she'll catch up on all her sleep as a teenager, you know, sleeping in until Noon and all :)

No comments: